It is recipe day! If you are new, you need to know that I can't cook. So you are pretty well guaranteed that this recipe is EASY.
Today's recipe comes from my favorite cookbook, Diabetes and Heart Healthy Cookbook from The American Heart Association and the American Diabetes Association.
Spinach, Artichoke, and Mushroom Toss
3/4 cup uncooked brown rice
1 large onion chopped
8 oz sliced button mushrooms
2 medium garlic cloves, minced
1 teaspoon dried oregano, crumbled
1/8 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
2 oz. coarsely chopped fresh spinach leaves (about 2 cups)
14- ounce can quarter artichoke hearts, rinsed, drained, and coarsely chopped
1/2 cup chopped roasted red bell peppers, rinsed and drained if bottled
4 ounces feta cheese, crumbled
1/4 cup snipped fresh parsley
1. Prepare rice per package directions - omitting salt and margarine
2. Meanwhile, heat a 12 inch skillet - spray with cooking spray (my friend Pam) and start cooking the onion for 4 minutes or until it starts to brown slightly. Stir frequently.
3. Stir in the mushrroms, garlic, oregano, and red pepper flakes. Lightly spray with the cooking spray. Cook for 6 minutes or until the mushrooms begin to lightly brown. Stir frequently.
4. Stir in the spinach, artichokes, and roasted peppers. Cook for 1 minute, or until mixture is hot and the spinach begins to release moisture, stirring gently. Remove from the heat.
5. To serve, spoon the rice onto a platter. Top with the vegetable mixture. Sprinkle with the feta and parsley.
Serves 4 - 1 cup vegetable mixture and 1/2 cup rice per serving
Exchanges: 2 Starch, 3 Vegetable, 1 fat
Total Fat: 8 g
Cholesterol 25 mg
Sodium 579 mg
Total Carbohydrate 42 g
Dietary Fiber 5 g
Sugars 8 g
We had this as part of our New Year's Eve supper. We loved it! I thought it was much better than I thought it would be from the recipe. Enjoy!
Do you have a recipe that you think is better than you thought it would be? Please forward it so I can try it too!
Thanks for reading!